As part of its academic outreach efforts, ICWA commissions Sapru House Paper (SHP) projects (10,000-12,000 words) from the academia, scholars and experts of foreign policy. The purpose is to expand ICWA research network and academic activities as well as provide necessary financial support to those individuals/institutions that are willing to undertake research related to international relations, India's foreign policy and area studies that have an impact on India's interests. The maximum grant for Sapru House Papers is Rs 25,000.
The SHP grant will be released once the manuscript submitted is accepted for publication. The submitted manuscript would be refereed before publication. No other financial, logistic or secretarial assistance will be provided to the intending authors by ICWA.
The SHP Grant applications will be considered for the following areas only:
- India's foreign policy.
- The changing politico-strategic dynamics of the Asian region and how it affects India.
- India's relations with its neighbours and the extended neighbourhood.
- Area studies: South Asia, Asia-Pacific, Latin America, Africa, EU, Russia, China, Africa, multilateral institutions, nuclear issues, etc.
The applicant/s must be
- Associated with a UGC recognised Indian university with which their department or the individual has a working relationship. Early career researchers with less than 10 years post doctoral experience who wishes to forge an academic career in international relations research. (Early career researchers are those who have gained their doctoral degree less than 10 years before the application closing date.)
- Associated with a reputed research institution. The host organisation must be able to demonstrate that they can provide the appropriate intellectual support and facilities to enable the applicant to succeed in utilising their grant effectively.
- Employed at UGC recognised Indian universities, think tanks /institutes or other research organisations. It is also open across all disciplines, though research must relate to one of the areas listed as ICWA Research priority areas.
- Applicant must be an Indian citizen.
Proposals in the prescribed format (attached) in sealed envelope (not through email) clearly indicating "the Topic" and "SHP Grant" written on the left hand corner may be sent to
Deputy Director General
Indian Council of World Affairs
Sapru House, Barakhamba Road,